Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Thank You Power Outage..

There have been a lot of heavy rainstorms in the Sacramento area lately. For most this has meant:
-being on the road with obnoxious drivers
-dealing with grumpy, wet, annoyed people as you make your way in public
-peeling layers of leaves off your porch everyday

However, for me this has created a 5 day weekend. On Sunday night, all of us teachers received a text saying that school was cancelled on Monday due to electric problems. This was probably the most exciting news that one can receive on the eve of a workweek. Then on Monday we received the same message for today. This was a joyous occasion. I was able to enjoy a leisurely afternoon having lunch with some of my fellow teachers, bought a very precious apron on sale at anthropologie and spend the day chit chatting with friends. Couldn't get much better right? Wrong. We received another text that there is still no electricity at our school. We will not have classes until Thursday...and that's us keeping our fingers crossed.

Since I've been having my days and nights consumed with free time, it's given me time to ponder my life and what I have been doing with it. I'm at such an odd crossroad right now. I feel miserable at my job, but my friendships and the people I've been surrounding myself with lately are absolutely amazing. I've actually been going back to church and it's given me a joy that is unexplainable and a also a sadness that is almost unbearable. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it's honest. I haven't quite figured out what it all means and I need to start doing with my life, but then again...who does?

The most important thing one can do is to just ask questions and seek change and hope in ones own life. So, I guess that's kinda where I am. I think I'll try to get back into writing tomorrow on my additional day off.

2 comments:

Joel said...

I believe you are talking about the unbearable lightness of being (which Noah just read). I think teaching lends itself to existential crises. I'd like to discuss this more in June when I return in time for Sara and Noah's wedding.

Allison said...

oh we will indeed discuss this more. i can't wait to swop stories!