Tuesday, December 09, 2008

I am addicted to gossip...

...I've probably know this for awhile(and I'm not proud of it), but it became crystal clear when I was thinking of the website I spend the most time on. On both my computer and my phone, one can always find me on perezhilton.com. For those of you who don't know this website(shame on you!), it's a celebrity gossip blog...and I can't get enough of it. I guess I just like to be in the know of gossip.

This also takes place in my own classroom. My students are always coming into my room and telling me the latest gossip ex: who likes who, who is asking who out, who plays too much video games, who got dumped, you know all those precious little treasures. The latest of all the gossip has involved one of my 6th grade boys and an 8th grade girl who have recently been dating. (It's been talk amongst the teachers that this 8th grader must OBVIOUSLY be desperatge). After asking out this girl, which involved him being dared to do it, then severals boys dragging him at lunch and MAKING him ask this girl out. She finally said "yes" and this little 6th grade boy was in bliss. This was all until....the principal MADE them break-up. It's kind of sad, since their relationship was so blissfully innocent. Seriously, the most they did together was play foosball together before and after school(and foosball is not any sort of sexual inuendo to anything).

This heartbroken little boy comes into my class yesterday and sadly looks at me "Ms.Dolin, did you hear what happened?" Surprised that I actually hadn't heard, I said "no, sweetie are you okay." "Jessica and I broke up" he stated holding back adolescent tears. He began to walk back to his desk, but turned around and asked me with what seemed to be a fresh tear forming in his eye "Can you please not play any music today about love or kissing in the rain, I really don't think I can handle it today?"

I'm not gonna lie, I was shocked that a 6th grader could even be heartbroken, but this one was indeed. I wasn't even sure what to say to make him feel better, so I just told him how he was better off because that girl has frizzy hair. Real helpful huh? After dealing with that whole drama, I sat and reflected on how love and relationships used to be so innocent and simple. You date, you break up. No REAL emotional loss, no REAL physical connection made. When you get older and you break-up you not only lose a boyfriend, you lose a best friend, lover and sometimes a home if you were living together. When did love and life get so complicated?

I look at these kids and I'm a little envious of a breakup where the only thing you lose is a foosball partner!


p.s. Without Perez Hilton, how would anyone know about individuals off of their medicine that have been given access to a camera. example given:

6 comments:

pedronegro said...

i am waiting for you to talk about brit's come back...

and i was doing a little thinking. you DO love gossip. you DO love all the ridiculous tabloids. and you love writing. maybe you should re-evaluate your life goals and become a celebrity gossip columnist? common, then simpson english department could have a claim to fame. ha. wouldn't that be a hoot.

Lauren said...

umm that was actually my comment. (i always post under his name on accident)

nina said...

i relaized at one point i was holding my breath waiting for it to be over. GAWD!

nina said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelly said...

that was really embarrassing to watch, poor thing going 'bonkers'.

scott J tyler said...

If you love gossip you should work in a public school where the gossip is way juicer, especially in High School. Intercepting notes is my favorite. When I see one being passes around class I wait till it goes back and forth for a while. Usually the longer the note is the more embarrassing it is for the student. I don't read it allowed or anything like that, I simply stick it in my pocket and read it after class. I am usually shocked at the nature of the note, shake my head in disbelief. I cannot believe what these young kids subject themselves to. It is really sad.